Caring for your skin is a lifetime pursuit, and it’s never too early to start. In honor of National Skin Care Awareness Month (NSCAM) – I’d like to offer 50% off the Express Facial for your daughters or sons – 18 years old or younger, during the month of September.
Inspired by NSCAM here is Part #3 of a 3 part series about; skincare myths, truths, mistakes and tips to help you take care of the largest organ of your body – your skin!
FOUR SKIN CARE TIPS
SKIN TIP #1 CLEAN COSMETIC BRUSHES REGULARLY.
Bacteria and oil can build up on your brushes leading to clogged pores and break outs on your skin. Using a mild liquid dish soap or shampoo and cold water, carefully wash out your brushes and rinse thoroughly. Periodically I use hair conditioner as well. Comb the bristles to prevent tangling, stand upright in a glass to destroy bacteria and dry them quickly.
SKIN TIP #2 AVOID THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS IN SKIN CARE AND COSMETIC PRODUCTS:
• Mineral Oil & Petrolatum (pore-clogging, leads to breakouts)
• SD Alcohol 40 (the “bad” alcohol commonly found in toners – very drying)
• Isopropyl myristate & Isopropyl Palmitate (may cause blackheads or whiteheads)
• Synthetic dyes (can be irritating to the skin)
• Sodium or Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate in gel cleansers (dehydrates the skin)
• Synthetic fragrances (this is the #1 cause of allergic reactions to products. Listed as “Fragrance” or “Parfum” )
• Apricot kernels, or seed/ shell powders (naturally made particles found in facial scrubs can scratch and irritate the skin causing bacteria to spread)
SKIN TIP #3 TO REDUCE UNDER EYE PUFFINESS BY AVOIDING SALTY FOOD AT NIGHT.
Avoiding salty foods can help prevent facial puffiness when you wake up in the morning. Excessive sodium causes water retention resulting and excessive swelling of the eye tissue. If you are trying to avoid puffiness (especially before a special event), avoid salty foods at night and drink a lot of water to flush your system.
SKIN TIP #4 ALWAYS WASH YOUR SKIN AND MOISTURIZE AT NIGHT.
Did you know that the skin on your face is one of the dirtiest places on your body from unintentionally touching it all day long? Routinely cleansing your skin at night will reduce oil and acne-causing bacteria resulting in clearer skin. Also, while you sleep, your skin is at rest allowing regeneration to occur, so it’s important to cleanse tone and moisturize your skin for optimum skin repair and healing. Too tired to wash your skin at night? Perform your nighttime skin routine at 7:00 or 8:00. Earlier is better than never!
By the way, a morning cleanse may not seem important because you have just been sleeping – but guess again! 😉 Sebum/oil builds up on the skin at night, as well as cellular debris and preparing the skin for makeup and the day’s assaults like pollution, debris in the air (like sand from the Ocean!) and free radicals produced in response to a multitude of sources is essential.
See you at the spa!